Road Accident

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident please call us on +353 061 461000 for an early consultation. Alternatively, you can fill in the details in the contact us form.

What should you do if you've been involved in a car accident?

1. Look after your health, see a doctor

The first matter that you should look after is your health, you should attend your doctor or the Accident and Emergency Department of your local hospital.

2. Record the details of the accident

You should obtain the name, address, car registration and insurance details of the owner and driver of the other car or vehicle. If a Garda attended at the scene of the road accident you should obtain his contact details. If possible you should take photographs or a video of the scene of the accident.

3. Contact us for a case assessment

Finally, you should speak to a solicitor. It is best to deal with an experienced personal injuries solicitor in submitting your claim to PIAB. Once we obtain details of the road traffic accident from you we will commence your claim.

We have successfully concluded numerous personal injury claims for clients arising out of road traffic accidents, whether rear-ended or otherwise collided into by another vehicle.

Call us on +353 061 461000 for an early consultation. Alternatively, you can fill in the details in the contact us form.

How do I know how much compensation I could be entitled to?

The amount of compensation is dependent on the severity of the injury, the more serious the injury the higher the level of compensation.  The Personal Injuries Assessment Board PIAB “Booklet of Quantum” outlines the various ranges of compensation for various different injuries.  For example for a minor soft tissue muscular injury to the back where a substantial recovery has been made they recommend compensation of  around €15,000.00. The Courts through various cases over the years have also set out guidelines on compensation in personal injury cases. Both PIAB and the courts when assessing compensation will refer to the medical reports prepared by your doctors and by the defendant’s doctors in assessing the appropriate level of compensation.

Will I recover any ongoing medical expenses and loss of earnings?

You are entitled to recover all out of pocket expenses including all medical expenses and also any loss of earnings attributable to the accident.  These items can be included in the claim for compensation. 

How long do I have to commence my case?

The Statute of Limitations sets out different time limits for different types of legal cases. Generally one must commence a personal injury case within 2 years of the accident or injury. There are various exceptions to this general rule and you should contact us immediately to discuss whether you have an actionable case. You should not delay or wait until the end of the 2 year period as this may adversely affect your case. Beyond 2 years the law will generally prohibit you from bringing a case. The best advice is to avoid delay and to contact us immediately for a consultation. 

Contact Us 24/7

What our clients say
Our Testimonials

"I was very happy with the service provided by Cathal Minihane Solicitor and would recommend him to family and friends"

Road Traffic Accident client